Currently in Seoul it is..

Atlanta Time

Friday, January 29, 2010

Paperwork for Getting the E2 Visa in Georgia

I got my criminal background back today from the GBI and had the apostille put on it. Now all I have to do is FedEx it out. They already have everything else.

1. A copy of your passport

2. Your resume

3. The original diploma (Bachelor's Degree and Master's Degree) and a copy of it (I have to submit it to get a permission to hire you. As soon as it gets finished, they will return to me and then, I will give it back to you when you arrive in Seoul.)

4. Criminal Background Check with Notarial Act (Authentication) of the Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in the US. (Go to the Secretary of the State to get an Apostille on the document of the criminal background)

5. Your Health Statement (I will send it to you with contract form soon)

6. Two sealed transcripts of your Bachelor's degree
7. Contract Form (I will send it to you within one or two days)
8. Six pictures

Please be ready with all of the above items, and as soon as you are ready with your statement of criminal check, please send all of the above materials to me immediately (Express-mail).


The Criminal Background Check

This was the most time consuming part.

The first thing I did was go to the local police department (Sandy Springs PD) to have two fingerprint cards made ($20). Then I went to Publix and got a money order for $20.75 made out to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. I took the cards and money order to the GBI office in Decatur and dropped them off with Ms. Fox (really nice lady.) Normally this process takes 10-14 days but I was in a hurry so I went back and picked it up myself instead of giving them a self-addressed envelope to send it back. All the instructions are on their website under the heading How do I obtain a Georgia criminal history record check from GCIC for immigration/visa/travel http://gbi.georgia.gov/00/channel_modifieddate/0,2096,67862954_67866875,00.html.

From there I went to the Secretary of State's office and got the Apostille ($3). They also have a good website http://www.gsccca.org/Projects/apost.asp.

Perhaps one of the most useful resources for how to get a criminal background check can be found at http://www.asknow.ca/criminalcheck.aspx.

At first I messed up and went to my local police dept for the criminal background check but Korean Immigration wouldn't accept it. My personal advice..clarify everything even if you feel like a moron by asking a lot of questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment